Thursday, March 18, 2010

Liga vs. Saprissa

Hola!
I went to my first ever professional soccer game last night and it was a blast! The two teams playing (Liga and Saprissa) are the two biggest rivals in Costa Rica so I was expecting an intense game, they take their soccer very seriously here! There were a ton of people there. The game was in Saprissa's stadium but Holly, Kathleen, and I and a few other people decided to support Liga! We bought jerseys for less than $9 it was awesome! Everyone else rooted for Saprissa, which I almost rooted for just because their jerseys are purple, but all my teachers and everyone says Liga is way better so I'm wearing my red and black Liga jersey today! Unfortunatley, Liga lost but it was a good game! Saprissa only won by 1 goal, which happened to be the only goal of the game. During halftime there was a fireworks show that was way better than Robinson's fourth of July show ever thought about being! Plus they set them off from right outside the stadium and we were sooo close! When the Saprissa players came out some of the fans set off fireworks from the stands too. I told Deanna I loved fireworks and she said "Me too, especially ones that disregard public safety!" Everyone was singing chants and we really wished that we knew the words! Apparently there are two groups of the hard core fans who have to be separately bused out of the stadium because they get so vicious but I didn't see that last night. Most of the crowd was pretty calm, we figured out it was because both teams weren't playing very good so there really wasn't much to get mad about? I don't know they looked pretty awesome to me. Also, Saprissa was winning and the majority of the crowd was rooting for them! I was glad it didn't get violent because I was afraid to be wearing the losing teams jersey if it did! Walking back to our bus was a little scary because there were police officers everywhere, on horses and on foot and some of them had on like full body armor and were carrying big sticks, it was intense. I'm pretty sure Emily took a picture, if she did I'll steal it from her facebook! I'll have pictures up on facebook hopefully tomorrow! (I still don't have internet they said Tuesday now they're saying tomorrow but with tico time this could mean Wednesday, ugh!)
I'm staying here in San Jose with my host family this weekend, Kathleen is going with the winter group to Puerto Viejo but we're going there during Semana Santa and I've already paid so I'm not paying to go again. I think Ileana and Carlos are going to take me to the mall on Saturday, not sure and to Cartago on Sunday where there's a really pretty old church and apparently a really good ice cream shop! There's also a huge world art festival going on here in San Jose this weekend so we're going to that as well!

Hasta luego,
Chelsey

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have experienced "Pura Vida" Costa Rican time!

    ReplyDelete